Thursday, March 3, 2011

21st Century Education

After watching the Ken Robinson video on the modern day education system I thought about the past ten years of my school career and thought if it was pointless. I came up with the answer that no it wasn't completely pointless I have learned some valuble skills while attending school. Not only did I learn basic math, science, and reading skills, but I've ventured on to more complex levels of thinking. Like science. I've learned the basics like everyone else, but when presented the oppirtunity to learn more about lets say biology I took it. Now not only did I learn about the human body, but I understand how it works. Aside from acedemics I've learned useful life skills that I will need outside of school, such as socializing. It might not seem that important but most of school is to socialize and make friends so it's not this completly dreadful thing. Socializing is an important skill outside of school. It can help you get a job that you want because you made a connection with the intreveiwer, and school is one of the only times you get to practice this skill, most of your friends you've made while attending school. For a perfect school I would make test writing a group effort. As you move on to a career your most likely not going to work by yourself, most jobs your working as team and not an individual, so why not test the theory to take tests as a group it's not only testing your knowledge of the subject but your communication skills as well. I also think that for a perfect school system you would have to take up to grade eight, thats all the basics, and then you have the option to either take some time off and resume school when you have a better idea of what you want to be, or jump right into the new high school which would allow you to study what you want. For example say you wanted to study your sciences because you wanted to be a doctor, but you wanted to take a year off just incase you changed your mind. After that year was done and you wanted to resume school again you would sign up for sciences and your courses would revolve directly around science, not history, not math, this way the student gets to pick what they wants to do instead of being forced to do something he as no interest in. Next year I am going to go to Okanagan College and take my first two years of sciences. From there I will transfer to UBC and finish my bachelors of science. If I could focus on just my sciences my science marks would be greatly affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment