Thursday, February 24, 2011

Walk A Paragraph

I woke up this morning to my head pounding, as I drag myself out of bed I got the reacurring taste of wiskey. A memory of a bad night. I pull myself to my feet and stumble my way to the bathroom to relieve myself. "Nothing out of the ordinary" I think to myself. "Just another average night at the bar." I walk out of the bathroom and make my way to my kitchen, I open the fridge to find all the shelfs empty. "Looks like I'm eating out again" I say to the emptiness of my run down apartment. I walk back to my bedroom to get dressed, not too many options to choose from. I grab the nicest pair of jeans I could find, it had a couple rips and tears but no noticable holes, and my old tattered jean jacket and walked out the door. The air outside was crisp, and I felt the cold air bite at my legs through the tears of my jeans. I didn't shower today, actually I haven't showered in a while, didn't matter, who was I trying to impress anyways? I walked a couple blocks down from my apartment to the mall, it was the closest place I could get something for breakfast. Once I reached the mall I headed to starbucks to get a coffee, anything to cure this throbbing hangover. I ordered my drink, a tall coffee, no sugar, no cream and went to sit outside where I could smoke. No one else was out there just me and my coffee. As I swirled the black liquid around I was joined by a couple with a little dog, a squirrelly looking thing that just stared at me with a strange look.
"Mind if I smoke?" I asked thinking to be polite.
"Uh no not at all" replied the man sitting beside his partner.
I took the carton of cigarettes out of my jacket pocket and looked inside, four cigarettes and a joint I must of rolled earlier. I took a cigarette and gestured to the couple if the wanted one. The man just showed his disapproval with a simple wave of his hand, I shrugged and pocketed the rest of the carton. I sat still for a while wondering what I'd do today, I looked up and saw a kid staring at me through the window of starbucks. What was he looking at? I mean I know I stand out of a crowd, but didn't his parents teach him it's wrong to stare? Maybe he was staring at my hair, showering for a week couldn't have looked good, or maybe my teeth, or the rest of my teeth. Feeling uncomfortable I downed my coffee and got ready to leave when I was interrupted but a voice.
"Hey Jerry!"
I turned around to see a familiar face heading towards me.
"How are ya?" He asked.
"Great man, what have you been up to?" I asked even though I couldn't put a name to his face.
"Not much, just working still. You still haven't found a job since you got laid off?" Said this unfamiliar face.
I must of knew him from somewhere, probably from a night at the bar. "Yeah still searching." I replied.
"Ah, that's s#*!$!, well keep looking, hey could I bum a smoke?" He said.
"Sure" I pulled out a cigarette and handed it to him. "Light?" I asked.
He nodded.
After I lit him up I gave him a wave and started to walk away. I headed back home where I could sleep off this hangover. I'd probably wake up sometime in the afternoon and head back to the bar just to repeat my new daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment